As we come upon the one-year anniversary of the pandemic, Ciara reflects on how the lockdowns and stay-at-home orders have changed our lives and impacted our health — and not for the better. This is
an important episode to listen to and share with loved ones, as Ciara gives crucial tips for getting in movement and keeping the body going even if your commute and daily habits have been drastically
changed. She talks about NEAT (Non–exercise activity thermogenesis) and why we need it, how to get those walks in during your workday, and tools to set yourself up for success while working from
In this episode, you will learn more about:
- We already had a health crisis prior to 2020, and now with everyone staying at home, ordering in food, and not out and about, this makes obesity and its consequences even more dire.
- It is better to be active during the day with many smaller things than sedentary with just one hour of high-intensity exercise.
- Why you need to commit to getting in 10k steps a day
- NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) is the energy expended from activities such as walking, working, typing, etc. Not high-intensity exercise or playing sports.
- The little movements throughout our day also make up for the largest calorie expenditures of our day, so getting in that NEAT is crucial.
- There are 3.2 million deaths each year due to physical inactivity.
- Ciara gives great tips for getting in movement in your workday such as less sitting during Zoom meetings and more walk + talk calls, standing desks, and getting up every half hour or so.
- Your walking is not the same as exercise. You need both.
- Standing can lower your risk of serious health issues and increase your energy, productivity, boost your mood and metabolism.
Say Hi To Ciara At: